If you’ve ever seen my posts of social media, you’ll know that I care deeply about environmental issues. With the current devastation sweeping across Australia, authors across the globe are running a fund-raiser for the brave firefighters (most of whom are volunteers) at the front line.
Rules are simple. It’s an “auction” over on Twitter. You reply with your pledged donation, and bidding closes on 11pm Sydney time on Saturday 11th Jan 2020. I’ll notify the winners on Sunday, they make a donation to the CFA (Victoria Country Fire Authority) or the RFS (NSW Rural Fire Service), send me the receipt. I’ll then mail winners a copy of one of my books (your choice).
You can see the full details on the #AuthorsForFireys website. My Twitter entry is:
Some things I’ll do in addition:
- Every pledge that goes past the cost of shipping a paperback will win (or, for simplicity, every pledge of 30 AUD or more wins)
- If you elect an ebook copy, I’ll also donate the cost of sending a paperback CFA/RFS myself
- Number of Beta Reading / Book Layout winners will be based on their & my time-frames
If you’re not interested in my novels, check out the #AuthorsForFireys tag on Twitter. Many authors are participating, including some well known ones, and others are offering different services as well.
If you can’t donate that’s cool — just like and retweet to help reach more people. If you don’t have a Twitter account, just contact me.
These go directly to the correct fire services’ websites:
- Victoria Country Fire Authority: https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supporting-cfa#donate-cfa
- NSW Rural Fire Service: https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/about-us/fundraising
UPDATE: I’ll also count donations to the RedCross and similar (eg. see this News.com article). Direct links:
- Red Cross Australia: https://www.redcross.org.au/campaigns/disaster-relief-and-recovery-donate
- WIRES Wildlife Rescue NSW: https://www.wires.org.au/donate/emergency-fund
Let do some good (while enjoying good books)! I’ll post the sum raised (as well as names of winners, if they agree) next week.